- Me: (Looking at a woman wearing a colorful hijab walking past our table in a restaurant)
- Sri Lankan Friend: You want to body check her, don't you?
- Me: What?
- Sri Lankan Friend: Body check her, like to see if she is wearing a bomb.
- Me: What? I was actually just thinking about how beautiful her hijab is.
- Sri Lankan Friend: Wow, that is so un-American of you.
A housekeeping note, I am leaving the day after tomorrow for a two and a half week research trip to Sri Lanka, so posting on RFN will be in and out accordingly. Have a great rest of your holidays!
Side note - if anyone who has followed this blog for an extended period of time would be interested in the occasional guest blogging while I’m gone, shoot me a message.
- Me: Dad I'm impressed, you fixed that computer problem yourself.
- Dad: I know, I'm becoming a wizard.
Sean Hannity, on it being cold, during the winter, in Iowa.
Stephen Colbert, on the War on Christmas
Jon Stewart, on Fox News’ Megyn Kelly and her
strangely not conservativecrusade for paid maternity leave
Anti-“government handouts” until they apply to you, Fox News style. From Jezebel’s article Megyn Kelly Bravely Stands up for Megyn Kelly’s Rights:
While Kelly’s pro-maternity leave stance might seem encouraging, and a prominent woman conservative woman advocating any sort of social program refreshing, it’s not brave or envelope pushing to advocate policies that would be immensely beneficial to yourself. As Jon Stewart pointed out, Kelly isn’t so progressive when it comes to other social programs that would immensely help other populations, as that would be “government intrusion.” Megyn Kelly is about as Girl Power as Sarah Palin or Elisabeth Hasselbeck.
Bob Dane, Communications Director, Federation for American Immigration Reform, for Fox News
An article sanctioned by Fox News about an organization using words to drive political goals and “affix inflammatory connotations to words and phrases used in the policy discussions with which they disagree?”
Bill O’Reilly, strangely responding to Wisconsin community organizer Brendan Lane’s question, “Were you at [Newt] Gingrich’s fundraiser?” by hitting him with his umbrella. (Side note: O’Reilly broke his umbrella).
Watch the video here.